February 23, 2012

Free At Last...

Since Poppy came into my life seven months ago, I have been very careful about where we go walking and with whom we interact. She's amazingly friendly and curious about people, small children and other dogs but in the interest of making sure her manners were impeccable before she engages fully with the aforesaid beings, I have chosen to keep her solitary and under tight leash control while out in the world. It's true that, from behind our fence, she wiggles at our neighbors who ask and then tentatively pet her. I've heard some good belly laughs as she wildly licks their hands. It would be a very jaded person indeed who could resist that butt wiggle and happy face. But it's not human-dog contact that concerns me. It's the dog-to-dog meet and greet I fret about. Our experience at a local dog park this past weekend allayed most of my fears about how socially adept Pops would be with other dogs.

My friend, Samara, who runs Laughing Dogs and occasionally helps out with rescue and fostering efforts in the Bay Area, offered to meet us at the Albany Bulb, a nearby dog-friendly park. One of her client dogs is in need of short term fostering and she asked me to consider taking CJ in providing he got along with my critters. She's a certified dog trainer - what? Like I could say "No" to Samara anyway - so I nervously agreed.

Well, I can honestly say that the only time I've felt more proud of one of my "children" was when my son spoke from the pulpit for the first time at our church, or maybe it was when he graduated from high school... At any rate, the emotional high of watching my beautiful dog romp, race and bound with complete abandon was exhilarating! Poppy had the best day of her young life in the open space of Albany Bulb. We'll do it again soon and have pictures next time!